Saturday, January 10, 2009

"California dreamin' on a such a winter day..."

         Today in Fullerton, unlike the song, the leaves are not brown and the sky is not gray. The weather has been far from unenjoyable.  It seems that every year California gets a little further away from truly experiencing a winter. However, I have no complaints other than my inability to fully enjoy the winter's lack of winter.  I have been cooped up in this dorm room for what seems an eternity plus a few years. 
       I am a Resident Advisor which basically means I have surrendered myself to a year of nothing-ness other than busting up marijuana-infested parties with ecstasy-popping nineteen and twenty-something year olds who have absolutely nothing better to do than make me irritated. I have seen it all: locked out drunks at four-thirty in the morning, fire alarms at three in the morning, mysterious smells covered up with cologne coming from various rooms, and the indisputable most irritating event-2AM parties which lead to five arrests that lead well into the five o'clock hour when I should be sleeping.  As an RA you either join in on the fun that some residents have or take a step back (and then forward) and turn against even your best of RA friends who have fallen victim to other resident's demise. Yes, it is true, even RAs must rat out their own RA friends.  
       I, however, don't fall into either of these two categories. I am not, for lack of a better word, a 'bad' RA, nor am I a 'good' RA. There are times when I truly do try to be good at my job, but I must admit sometimes I wonder if I just flat out suck at this way of life. I simply supervise my residents rather than take power trips. I will suggest that my residents, however, not tell me when they will be drinking in their dorm-it makes for a better night for both of us. 
      Today, as the day progressed into a night that is just as enjoyable, I have realized that the summer-felt day could have been better. I could have actually done something other than sit in my living room with my laptop under my hands. I could have gone for a walk through the Hollywood. I could have went to the beach back home or written a few uninteresting songs about how great the weather was, but I didn't. Instead of taking full advantage of this summer day in the middle of winter, I sat on my couch and watched the television, and that my friend is why being an RA absolutely sucks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment